This site is dedicated to Sir Walter Tapper, and the fabulous architecture that he left us.


Main Menu

St Erkenwald's History - During Construction

The first sod was cut by Mrs. Monck-Mason, wife of the vicar of St. John's, on January 12th 1904 and on March 16th of the same year the Foundation Stone was laid by the Bishop of St. Alban's. The total collection was £133.6s.10d. and there was a public luncheon at the Marlborough Hall in the High Street. The estimated cost of the church was £5,000.

The Revd. Dr. Lindsay contributed liberally to the building fund. The chancel and two bays of the nave were dedicated on September 28th 1905 by the Bishop of Barking and the cost of this was £5,728. The remainder of the nave and baptistry were dedicated by the Bishop of St. Alban's on November 12th, 1910. This second stage, plus the flooring and furnishing of the chancel, cost £4,290. (Dr. Lindsay gave the oak altar and choir stalls at a cost of £300.) A separate Parish was formed and the church consecrated on November 12th, 1911 and the Revd. Dr. Lindsay became the first vicar.

Next Page

Sir Walter Tapper ~ Sir Walter J. Tapper ~ Gothic Revivalist Architect ~ St Erkenwald, Southend-on-Sea ~ Church of the Annunciation, Bryanston Street ~ Church of the Ascension, Malvern Link ~ Guildford Grammar School Chapel